AMiLDA FORUM

You are not logged in.

Announcement

### Our Homepage is down at the moment...work in progress !! ###

#1 2006-10-15 17:24:05

WebInterface for VLANs?

Hi,

is no one interested in using the small box as a managed switch or why is there no control over the vlan-settings in the webinterface?:-)
I just started to take a look on the source to implement such a page. Should not take to much space in the image, I think.

BTW: I got some other IMHO good ideas for amilda:

A web based SD-Card-Reader: just plug a sd card into the box and the box into the network so you can access all your data over the network. (Because USB cardreader suck...;-)

USB Printer-Server (booooring)

USB2Ethernet Webcam

USB-Wlan-Stick 'Accesspoint' in client mode - for attaching to wireless lan networks and route them to your private network. Maybe that could take some more space which the box does not have...

Ulrich

#2 2006-10-16 15:45:40

sergioag
Developer
Peru
Website

Re: WebInterface for VLANs?

Hi

The ideas are quite good. Here is what i think about them:

Managed Switch: the ADM5120 doesn't have many functions for managing the switch. However, the VLANs can be configured (currently, there's a command line utility called adm5120sw) so probably that can be done within a web interface.

Web-based SD-Card reader: How can we attach an SD card to the box? If we ever managed to do so, the license terms of the SD Group (about how the SD Card works) would make impossible to release the code, which i certainly don't want.

USB Print-Server: that's quite easy....

USB2Ethernet Webcam: webcams use quite a lot of propietary protocols for which i can't get any documentation. Therefore, it's impossible to do (at least for most models).

USB-Wlan-Stick 'Accesspoint': the IPN2220 is capable of doing this. However, there isn't a free driver for using it. Using a USB chipset would be quite painful too. It will have to wait until i finish the IPN2220 driver (currently under development).

Regards,

Sergio

#3 2006-11-20 19:04:55

Tom

In terms of webcams i can suggest all devices that are supported by the spca5xx driver and also pwc dirver project. So far i managed to make my three webcams work with another embedded system based on OpenWRT.

I agree to the other issues.

#4 2006-12-09 22:54:42

ericandor
Poland

Hi!

You mentioned USB2Ethernet, please look at this project
it is very interesting big_smile

http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbip/

Best wishes

Ericandor

#5 2006-12-11 17:25:05

Pieter
Netherlands

I think it's quite useful to embed a set of "managed-switch" tools. It think bridging is the solution. The router would still act as a switch, but with the possibility of adding rules to ebtables. Nice idea!

Board footer