AMiLDA FORUM

You are not logged in.

Announcement

### Our Homepage is down at the moment...work in progress !! ###

#1 2007-03-05 16:29:57

wolfy2k

A few questions on patches

Hi I have a few questions on patching (thanks all inadvace who read this and big thanks to anyone with help smile )

I have three clean linux kernels (all three different verisons), so to make it easier what I doing I will split this post into three parts.  Then a finial part for some questions about the patches availble.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have a kernel 2.6.12rc1 and have patched it with the patch made by Jeroen Vreeken.  I am not sure what this patch does to the kernel except make it complatable with the adm5120 processor.

Here is my question for this one, I read sunspots tutorial (thanks sunspot its really good smile) and it says to be able to modify the "Initial kernel command string".  Although in versison 2.6.12rc1 there is not a option for this in any of the menu's.  I was wondering is there something different or will I be able to change the make files to have this option?

My 2nd kernel is a clean kernel is 2.4.31 (got from http://www.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mip … .31.tar.gz).  When I do a "make menuconfig" for this kernel I do get the option which is in sunspots tutorial for the "Initial kernel command string".

So my question for this part is, what patch should I use, to patch the kernel for the adm5120 processor.  I see in the link on the midge website section there is a link to the patch "vanilla 2.4.31".  Is this the patch I should use?  Also to use it would the command be "patch -p0" then the patch file name?

The finial kernel I am using is the 2.4.18 kernel (the kernel version mainly used it adm5210 systems, downloaded from http://www.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mip … .18.tar.gz), I am wondering if anyone has the patches for this verison of the kernel which I could get off them.

Now finaly the last part, yip this post will end soon lol

I have read there is problems with the origonal USB drivers so i am guessing in the sunspot tutorial the files which you replace (ones below) are patched to solve the problems?

do_mounts.c
usb-shci.c
usb-shci.h

Can someone confirm this for me please?

The last question I have for now is about the patch 004-kernel-entry.patch (this one, http://midge.vlad.org.ua/tmp/004-kernel-entry.patch). What does this patch do?  I see it gets put in to the "kamikaze-200602050443/trunk/target/linux/adm5120-2.4/patches"  Now my question, is this a patch for the kernel?  If it is there anyway I can patch the kernel with this?

Thank you all very much in advance and I look forward to replies smile

#2 2007-03-05 21:10:04

sergioag
Developer
Peru
Website

Re: A few questions on patches

Hi

Most versions have the command line hardcoded, which you can find somewhere inside arch/adm5120/kernel.

About 2.6.12rc1: not sure about this one. Check the source code at the mentioned location.

About 2.4.31: yeah, that's possibly the patch you should use. Using -p0 or whatever, depends on the instructions given by the patch supplier. Only the correct value will give you the correct result, so just test if you're not sure.

About 2.4.18: instead of patching a vanilla kernel, go to Edimax's web page and download the GPL source code for some device which uses the ADM5120 (such as the BR-6104K). It comes with such version fully patched.

About the 004-kernel-entry.patch: the ADM5120's bootloader uses a fixed address entry point, which is different from the standard linux's one. That patch moves the entry point to the correct address.

Hope this helps you.

Sergio

#3 2007-03-08 15:53:12

bifferos

About 2.4.31: yeah, that's possibly the patch you should use. Using -p0 or whatever, depends on the instructions given by the patch supplier. Only the correct value will give you the correct result, so just test if you're not sure.

Look at the paths appearing in the patch file.  If they go something like:
linux-2.4.31-new/arch/mips/blah.c .....

Then you need to run patch --p1 < ../path/to/patch.patch

If they go something like:
arch/mips/blah.c .....

Then you need to run patch --p0 < ../path/to/patch.patch

It's usually the former for most patches, so patch -p1 < patchfile

The -p number just determines the number of slashes to take off start of the paths appearing on the patch.

See 'man patch'.

About 2.4.18: instead of patching a vanilla kernel, go to Edimax's web page and download the GPL source code for some device which uses the ADM5120 (such as the BR-6104K). It comes with such version fully patched.

I'm interested to know if anyone has done that.  It didn't work for me.  Are there instructions for doing this, if so which firmware in particular was used?

#4 2007-03-08 21:02:59

sergioag
Developer
Peru
Website

Hi

Any Edimax source release contains that kernel. Just go to their downloads page. Build the kernel as usual, the rest would be much more complicated, don't mess with it.

Regards,

Sergio

#5 2007-03-10 22:54:42

wolfy2k

Thanks for the info smile  so for the replying taking awhile but yous been so much help smile

#6 2007-03-25 18:48:56

bifferos

If you don't like the edimax sources you can look on this page:  http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Adm5120
and download all the sources from the other devices which use the adm5120.  Many of them may be missing the
switch support though.  I had a brief look at some of them, there are certainly a variety of 2.4.18 USB drivers in that
mix, especially for the IP camera-type devices.

Board footer