Announcement

### Our Homepage is down at the moment...work in progress !! ###

#1 2008-05-20 00:55:26

energywave
Italy
Website

ADM5120 Bootloader (ADMBOOT) and my trip to hell

Hi to all,
I know I'll be a little OT but this is really my last canche so I'll try.
I have a Ovislink WL-5460CAM (OEM is Cellvision CAS-670W) with broken bootloader and firmware.
After much effort I'm now able to reflash the bootloader with UrJTAG with a wiggler interface I've built (if you want to read my quest is here: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? … _id=682993 ).
I didn't found a correct bootloader, the only bootloader image I've found ( http://downloads.amilda.org/AMiLDA/boot … iginal.bin ) is for a device with 2 MB of flash (I believe) and don't works more than a half.
I've managed to get ADMBOOT with TFTP sources, remove TFTP functionality (for let the image don't be more than 32KB) and cross-compile to mips with gnupro. The best result I could realize was to get a working bootloader, a working menu on console serial, then I do a xmodem transfer of VMLINUZ but then it locks at the inflate() procedure (it calls zlib for decompressing VMLINUZ and it never returns, I don'w know why!!!)

So my question is:
isn't there a nice guy with a ADM5120 device with 4MB of flash that can send me the image of his original bootloader? I need only those 32KB at the beginning of the flash...
I've even written to Ovislink, but they seems not interested in helping me.

If you can / not want to send me your bootloader image maybe you can help me a little with the bootloader compilation...

Thank you in advance to all the ones that will reply to me!!!
Henrik

I'm a . net programmer, I focus on Windows and Windows CE user mode software and services.
I work at Poliware S.r.l.

#2 2008-06-15 09:35:38

sergioag
Developer
Peru
Website

Re: ADM5120 Bootloader (ADMBOOT) and my trip to hell

Hi

I don't have any devices with 4MB. However if i remember correctly admboot can be configured for it, as well as for 2MB. You should give it a try if you haven't. If not, i'll try to get one.

Sergio Aguayo

#3 2008-09-02 15:56:34

pigster

OK

here is the original loader which is exact 32kb http://pigster.afraid.org/CUSTOM.BIN

but you must know:

1) The original bootloader can't load images larger than 2MB.  You can flash them in, but if the kernel part is larger than 2MB it will hang during startup (at the beginning). If you want to use 4MB, you need to have separate kernel image and rootfs. Amilda is built that way. But you need to have flash driver in linux kernel patched for using 4MB of flash (well known A20 <-> GPIO problem). I don't know in what state this is in amilda.

2) Using ADMBOOT compiled source, you can use ALL 4MB Flash without any patches in linux kernel, but then you need rootfs in kernel image. I have tested this with 2.6 branch with ADM5120 patches and after a week of hacking ADMBOOT and kernel i got this working. There is couple of problems with admboot. If i remember right, there should be NO csys header at the start of the image (if you have it, that is probably why deflate fails). Second, i had some problems with entry point. I think that admboot is expecting entry point of kernel at different address than the normal bootloader but again i can remember this wrong. Again, there is parts of code which is for 4MB flash in admboot, they are activated by some combination of typedefs and again is for solving of A20 problem. Be warned, this solution can take long time (especially when it comes to reflashing broken bootloader using JTAG - that takes LONG)

#4 2009-05-09 00:54:24

energywave
Italy
Website

Sorry for not answering... I was looking around on sites where I asked for help and returned here... Thank you for your answers! In the meanwhile on another forum there was someone that gave me the original ADMBOOT that worked like a charm! I used JTAG to flash the bootloader and then uses the bootloader to load the kernel. At that point I upgraded the kernel image with something newer and voilą, now all is ok.
I'm not a kernel or low level developer so it was a pain, but very useful for learning some new things and remembering all the low level things I've studied at school wink

Thank you again!

I'm a . net programmer, I focus on Windows and Windows CE user mode software and services.

#5 2010-03-26 10:37:48

energywave
Italy
Website

Hello Khaly, you did my exact trip to hell!!!  smile I've built too a wiggler interface "poor man jtag parallel adapter" and used UrJtag (that was tricky) And I managed too to modify the source you used stippping TFTP support and I too got locked with inflate()! And I too didn't know why the hell. The good news for you is that I have the bootloader that you need! I cannot attach here so I'll sent that to your mail. If someone else need it...
I've got that bootloader from Gabor Juhos from openwrt forums, honor to him!
Hope this helped,
Henrik

Board footer