AMiLDA FORUM

You are not logged in.

Announcement

### Our Homepage is down at the moment...work in progress !! ###

#1 2006-02-17 04:11:20

HH
Developer

Easy mod: NFS

This is a nice and easy change.  Go through the kernel configuration and select Y for the NFS (Network File System) v3 options, both server and client.  Now go through the BusyBox configuration and select Y for mount, unmount, and NFS mount options.  Re-build AMiLDA and load it onto your device.

After booting, you should be able to do something like this:

mkdir /mnt
mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.xxx.xxx:/home/router /mnt

Now, assuming you've got NFS Server enabled and configured on the 192.168.xxx.xxx machine and a directory at /home/router you will have read-write access to that directory over the network.  This is extremely useful for having persistent storage space beyond the paltry non-persistent initial ramdisk embedded in the kernel.  If there are things you want to test you can put them in the router directory and you don't have to re-build and re-download a new kernel to your device every time.

When done, do this:

sync
umount /mnt

Note that this is not for using a NFS root partition.  There's a way to do that, too, but I haven't tried it.

If you don't want to "mkdir /mnt" every time you boot you can add this to AP/mkimg/app_6104ipc_script:

around line 44... "rm -rf $MKTOP/mnt"
around line 58... "mkdir $MKTOP/mnt"

That will automatically give you a "/mnt" directory when AMiLDA is booted.

#2 2006-02-17 17:14:42

sergioag
Developer
Peru
Website

Re: Easy mod: NFS

That would be nice for some people, but not for the official distro as that goes beyond making a standalone router. It also enlarges the kernel and busybox quite a bit.

Regards,

Sergio

#3 2006-02-17 21:45:32

HH
Developer

Re: Easy mod: NFS

I look at it mainly as a development mod.  I find it useful for testing scripts and it beats re-code. re-build, re-flash and re-boot every time you need to squash a bug.

It's not something for everyday use when the device is sitting quietly in the corner routing packets, or controlling a printer, etc.  It does enlarge the kernel, I agree.

Board footer