AMiLDA FORUM

You are not logged in.

Announcement

### Our Homepage is down at the moment...work in progress !! ###

#1 2009-12-26 02:25:49

dahonk

Does Amilda support port forward to broadcast?

Hi guys,

I am considering to flash my Edimax BR6104K router with Amilda. Yet, I do not want to risk "bricking" it if Amilda is not what I am looking for. I am so much afraid of creating this console cable that I would rather dump the router and buy a new one. It would be great if you could give me your appraisel, if Amilda is what I am looking for.

I am rather satisfied with the original firmware, yet I miss one feature: I want to be able to forward a wake-on-lan packet to the internal network to start one of the machines in the internal network. As far as I understood, I would need to forward port 9 to a directed broadcast (x.x.x.255) to all internel interfaces. This is something that the Edimax Firmware does not permit.

Does Amilda support
- PPPoE (I think I read that it does)
- dyndns client (I found the Q&A post)
- DHCP, ... (I think it does)
- forwarding a port to broadcast
out of the box? Would it be very difficult to configure Amilda to do this?

Any opinions, help, experiences, etc. greatly appreciated! :-)

#2 2009-12-26 13:19:27

MrZack
Administrator
Austria

Re: Does Amilda support port forward to broadcast?

Hi dahonk,

Welcome to the forum.

Out-of-the-Box....WOL is not part of AMiLDA. And forwarding such a packet is not a very smart way to go.
But what you can do is extend AMiLDA with the WOL feature.
Compile the program that can do the job and implement it into the webserver.
You can use this How-To to set up the development environment -- http://forum.amilda.org/viewtopic.php?id=183

If this is not an option for you...i'll have a look at it myself. I like the WOL feature and i use it myself...only not with AMiLDA.

Nothing is impossible....except that the state of your mind makes it so.

#3 2009-12-26 14:09:04

dahonk

Hi MrZack,

thank you for your response! Though not what I wanted to hear... ;-)

Why do you consider forwarding WOL as a bad idea? What would be a smarter way to go? What do you use for your WOL?

Thank you very much for offering to have a look! But no need to do this now. I think I should try it on my own first.

#4 2009-12-26 14:22:11

MrZack
Administrator
Austria

Take a look at this.... http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.ph … Forwarding

On this web page there are a few tools that can be used for WOL...
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wa … html#ss3.1

I use ether-wake.
This way you don't need to open any ports and put yourself at DoS attack risk.
You just call the tool from the webserver or telnet console(wouldn't use the telnet on WAN though) and let magic happen wink

#5 2009-12-26 15:16:48

dahonk

Hm, well, the problem is that the web server is actually the thing that I want to wake up (with e.g. http://stephan.mestrona.net/wol/)... among other stuff I have a Subversion through WebDAV on that machine. But I see your point: I could configure Amilda to provide a WebServer on some port (may be not 80) on the WAN that then executes ether-wake (I use this one, too, in my LAN) on the internal interfaces. Right? I hoped to have it a bit easier...

I have only very basic knowledge of network protocols below TCP/IP but I think we might have misunderstood. I do not want to respond to pings or broadcasts coming in from the WAN. I want that a UDP packet sent to the router's WAN IP (let's say 1.2.3.4 Port 9) gets forwarded to all LAN interfaces. May be I am bit naive, but wouldn't it work above the ICMP layer on which the Smurf thing is based?
Btw: for curiosity, probably off-topic, I tried "ping -b 192.168.2.255" and the only thing that answers is the router, not my own pc, not the server to be, not anything else.

This guy, for example, achieves the trick with a static ARP entry on a Cisco router: http://www.kloeren.de/2006/03/wake-on-l … und-cisco/ (Sorry for those of you who do not speak German.) What do you think of this?

Thank you for discussing this with me!

#6 2009-12-27 13:13:57

MrZack
Administrator
Austria

The BusyBox in AMiLDA is not compiled with arp command, so you can't make a static arp address out-of-the-box.
You would have to compile your own version...which is not so hard wink

I will try this arp method...it's an interesting approach.
Will have to test the security aspect of it also smile

#7 2011-04-20 07:15:51

Jhonsons

I have only very basic knowledge of network protocols below TCP/IP but I think we might have misunderstood. I do not want to respond to pings or broadcasts coming in from the WAN. I want that a UDP packet sent to the router's WAN IP (let's say 1.2.3.4 Port 9) gets forwarded to all LAN interfaces. May be I am bit naive, but wouldn't it work above the ICMP layer on which the Smurf thing is based?

#8 2011-04-20 14:29:21

alanversowa

Please suggest me that "Why do you consider forwarding WOL as a bad idea? What would be a smarter way to go?"

Board footer